In the hustle and bustle of our day to day lives, it can sometimes be easy to forget some of the simplest personal safety tips while we are out and about in the community. What may seem like common sense-might just be the actions we overlook. Here is a list of 10 personal safety tips that may pertain to you:
- Unplug yourself. We all love to be plugged into our gadgets while commuting around town but it is important to be aware of your surroundings. Keeping your volume low is one way to make sure you can still hear what’s going on around you.
- If you feel like you are being followed by someone, the best way to react is to cross the street and walk in the opposite direction allowing you to get a good look at the person and notify the authorities.
- If you feel like a vehicle is following you while you are walking, make a quick u-turn to take note of their license plate number and notify the authorities.
- When using transit, plan your route and know the schedule. If you are travelling at night, be sure to choose well-lit stops to ensure your safety.
- If you are out for a stroll or a run in the evening, try and face oncoming traffic wearing appropriate reflective gear. This will make you more visible to drivers on the road.
- When cycling, be sure to wear reflective gear as well as your helmet especially when riding on main roads with a lot of vehicle traffic.
- If you are ever verbally harassed, ignore the individual and notify the authorities when you can. Do not react to that individual.
- When using an ATM machine at a bank, make sure there is no one hanging around the machine and be sure to use a machine that is in a well-lit area. It may sound silly but make sure you are hiding your access code!
- Lock all your car doors, even if you are inside.
- Lastly, stand tall, be alert and be confident. Predators look for individuals that look afraid and appear as though they have low self-esteem. Those individuals are usually who they choose to target.
Always be aware of your surroundings and be safe when out in the community!